US President Donald Trump has gone ahead and issued an ultimatum to the World Health Organization(WHO). He has threatened the WHO to permanently freeze funding from the US.

In a four-page letter that Trump has written to WHO over the COVID19 crisis, Trump has asked the UN body to commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days. He said that if WHO fails to do so, he will go ahead and make the temporary freeze on US funding permanent and reconsider the membership in the organization. Trump suspended US’s contribution to the WHO last month accusing it of promoting China’s quote disinformation about the coronavirus outbreak.

In the letter attached to Trump’s Monday Tweet, he told WHO head Dr Tedros Adhanom that the only way forward now if the who could demonstrate independence from China. In the 4-page letter, Trump slammed the who for what he called the “failed response” to the coronavirus.

The United States currently accounts for about 14 per cent of the WHO’s funding contributing $400 million. Donald Trump yesterday has, in fact, called the UN health body a puppet of China saying it has done a very sad job in its handling of the coronavirus crisis. 

The US is not the only country to demand an investigation into WHO’s handling of the crisis after more than 100 countries in the World Health Assembly held yesterday backed the resolution calling a probe.

The WHO chief promised an independent review of the global pandemic response. However Chinese president XI Jinping said that he supports the investigation but also insisted that any enquiry should wait until the virus is completely contained.

In a statement to defend itself, China’s foreign ministry said that Trump’s message to the WHO threatening to cut off funding for good is an effort to shift the blame for his administration’s failures in responding to the coronavirus. 

In a bid to protect himself from the virus, US President Donald Trump has confirmed that he is taking hydroxychloroquine to ward off coronavirus. This despite health officials warning him that the drug may be unsafe as it’s not been proven as a treatment against coronavirus. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get notified when we post your favourite!

Stay on top - Get the daily content from The August in your inbox