The govt has issued fresh guidelines for flights which resume from May 25. The new airport protocols will involve maintaining social distancing, and passengers will now be deplaned in batched.
Yesterday at a press conference the Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri talked about how it might not be possible to leave middle seats empty or run flight on less than full capacity, so that will, of course, brings with its own share of challenges.
The Airport Authority of India (AAI) has released the standard operating procedure for all the airports concerned what all needs to be done at the airport level.
As far as the AAI guidelines are concerned, it’s a 17 pages long SOP which clearly states the main facts being;
- Only web check-ins are allowed
- Passengers need to be at the airport before 2 hours of the flight departure time
- Passengers are allowed to bring only one check-in baggage and discourage carry any trollys.
- Passengers need to be at the boarding gate before 1 hour of the flight boarding time
- The boarding gate shuts 20 minutes before the scheduled departure
- Before entering the airport terminal, there’ll be a thermal scan and the CISF personnel will also see your status in Arogyasetu. It’s mandatory for the passengers to download the Arogysetu app.
- Arogyasetu is not mandatory for children below 14 years
- At the airline counter, passengers need to show the PNR and e-boarding pass
- There’ll be no baggage tags anymore. Passengers will receive an SMS that’ll be treated as the baggage tag.
- At the security check, the CISF personnel have to wear full PPE while scanning the passengers with the handheld metal detector.
- At the boarding gate, passengers need to walk to the counter and scan their boarding pass under a scanner which was earlier done by the ground staff
- The passengers will be given a safety kit which will include mask, gloves, and sanitizer before boarding the flight
Soon the guidelines will also be released for the airlines. The minister himself will be doing a press conference at 3 pm today where he will be giving out details.