News agency ANI quoting the Indian Army have said that 17 more Indian Army Jawans have died in the India-China face-off.
The Indian Army, in its statement on Tuesday, said, “Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15-16 June. 17 Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the stand-off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20.”
The violent face-off happened on late evening and night of June 15 in Galwan Valley as a result of an attempt by the Chinese troops to “unilaterally change” the status quo during de-escalation in Eastern Ladakh and the situation could have been avoided if the agreement at the higher level been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side, India said on Tuesday.
External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said that both sides suffered casualties in the violent face-off and the Chinese side departed from the consensus to respect the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Galwan Valley.
Earlier it was reported that one Indian Army officer and two jawans were martyred and three to four Chinese troops were killed in the face-off.
The armies on two sides have been engaged in the standoff in Pangong Tso, Galwan Valley, Demchok and Daulat Beg Oldie in eastern Ladakh since May 5.
China has accused India of crossing the border first on the night of 15 June.