The car’s first model was launched back in 2010, and after considerable delay, Mahindra and Mahindra unveiled their much anticipated Thar 2020 today.
The model was displayed on social media via a live webcast. Notable features of this new “gen-z” model include:
- Keeping in mind the daily-use challenges that people faced with the initial model, the fresh model will offer two variants – AX for serious off-road drives, whereas the LX series for routine drivers.
- Leaf spring units replaced by the chic multi-link rear suspension. Allows two engines, including 2.0-liter turbo petrol along with a 2.2-liter diesel engine. It further provides a choice between manual and automatic transmission.
- Shift on fly 4×4 manual shift transfer case with crawl ratio comes as standard.
- Retains the “seven-slat grille”, bordered with round headlamps and LED daytime lamps on the front end.
- Full-sized, 18-inch alloy wheels which provide a captivating view to the onlookers.
- Three roof options including a fixed soft top, manually convertible top and hardtop varying upon the type one opts for.
- Six ecstatic color options. (Red Rage, Mystic Copper, Napoli Black, Aquamarine, Galaxy Grey, and Rocky Beige.)
- Rectangular tail lamps and a spare wheel on the tailgate mark the rear end of the new model.
- Insides of the car have replaced the austere dashboard layout with a 7-inch touchscreen in the centre. The screen offers both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.
- It will take on the Maruti Jimny, Force Gurkha, and similarly-priced compact SUVs like the Kia Seltos and Hyundai Creta.
- Removable roof panels and washable interiors while the speakers are shifted to the roof, and the front window switches are mounted in the central console.
- The prices are expected to range between 10 to 14 lakhs equaling similar compact SUVs such as the Kia Seltos, Hyundai Creta, and Nissan Kicks.